Wednesday, April 21, 2010

6.

Hey everyone! Hope y'all are doing well! I am so excited to announce that when I got on the scale this morning I weighed 312.2, which means I have lost 9.8 lbs! WOO HOO!!! Now there seems to be some confusion on what diet I am doing and where I got the idea. I am doing The Thyroid Diet (free form) from the book The Thyroid Diet: Manage Your Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss Mary Shomon is the author and it is an amazing book that I strongly recommend! It has great ways to diet, recipes and things that just make you go..."YEA!" I finally felt after reading this book, and starting this blog, that I was not alone in my sufferings with this disease and weight gain.
I have also heard some people say they are too intimidated by the diet to try it and honestly it is SO easy, please don't feel intimidated by it. Just take a deep breath, and start mapping out your way to success. If you plan, it is much easier to stay on the diet. Not planning results in quick trips through the drive thru! You more or less cut out carbs, sugar and fried foods. However, you can allow yourself a dessert or treat once or twice a week and it really helps take away those cravings. ALSO: THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Let's say you are out to dinner and man oh man those mashed potatoes on your husband's plate look too good to resist....HAVE A BITE! Whoever said you can't have a bite?! Now....if the bites turn into a bite of something you can't have every hour or so, then that is definitely not helping on your diet. Just remember this: Nothing tastes better than the first bite. (My Dad told me that) :)
People have been messaging me on Facebook, and leaving comments on here about how they are struggling with just living their day to day lives with this disease. Trust me, I know how you feel! But you CAN go on with your life and you can live it the way you want to! It's hard but it's do-able. If you're not sure how to take back your life and live it, or even if you already have but feel like you're slipping; buy this book also! Living Well with Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You... That You Need to Know (Revised Edition) This book is also by Mary Shomon and together are like what, $24? And it's the best $24 dollars you will spend. It gives you ways to take your life back, ways to love yourself again, and obviously, ways to live WELL.
These books have changed my life, and I am so excited to have you guys tell me that because of this blog you are going to start the diet too! You all are encouraging me so much and I hope you don't stop reading this blog and please never stop with the encouragement...You never know when I'll need it most. Now I want to know something, who of you are doing/have done this diet? I want to know how it was for you. LET ME KNOW! And please...never ever give up.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13
"Just keep swimming!" - Dori (Finding Nemo)
"If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31 b
                                   "In God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Psalm 56:11

Seriously guys if God is cheering you on, which of our personal demons can be against us? And our biggest thing is we are so afraid of what other people are thinking of us; or for some, what they'll say or do to us. Just don't be afraid. You guys can do this! I can do this! And when you don't want to work out anymore...just keep repeating, "Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming swimming swimming!" I love you all and thank you for the encouragement. Now...GO GET THOSE BOOKS! The links will take you directly to them on Amazon if you'd like! And tell me if you're doing the diet and how you're doing. Until next time!




11 comments:

  1. Your blog is totally awesome! It's been like an answer to a prayer only whispered in the darkest night.
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 9.8 lbs?!! Wow! Congrats to you! Sounds like you are off to a wonderful start!

    Those 2 books you mentioned, I had put them in my cart at Amazon a bazillion times over the past 1 or 2 years. I kept putting them in my cart and never checking out. I don't know what made me not buy them, but I do that often with online shopping. Last night, I went to Amazon, and sure enough they were still sitting there in my cart, along with other things I intended to purchase. This time, I actually checked out. I'm not sure about starting the diet, but I do want to have it on hand incase that once day I do want to do it. Maybe I can just use it as a guideline.

    I've also been reading about switching my doctor. I'm interested in switching from my Synthroid to Armour and looking for a doc that's cool with that. I do have some hope coming back within the last couple of days. Perhaps some strength is building for another try. Who knows. But those books will be a great start!!! Thanks for pushing me to finally complete the purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! Bardess - you are too sweet. Thank you for that, that one sentence means the world to me!
    Sharper - YAY FOR BUYING THE BOOKS! haha one thing, don't go into the books thinking that you cannot/will not do the diet. Just keep an open mind and remember what I said it is really not hard or scary. If you map out how you are going to eat it makes everything easier and better. About the Armour, make sure you don't just keep going to different doctors until you find one that will give it to you. Some of us actually can't have Armour. I am not supposed to take anything "natural". My Dr said it was way bad for me, just as bad as eating tofu when you're hypothyroid! So obviously that doesn't go for everyone but just ask your Doctor why they would or wouldn't want you to go on Armour. And learn what you can about it. If you haven't already go to http://www.armourthyroid.com/ Even read the other sections that aren't for thyroid patients. You can learn a lot! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm more looking for a different doctor with a different way of thinking. I'm not getting any success from the one i have and I always leave his office disappointed that he didn't listen and was rushed through. I hate that endocrinologists give me that "hey, i deal with life-threatening diabetes patients all day. Don't come to me whining about your weight issues" attitude. A doc that is open to something different and looks at the whole picture, instead of just lab results. If he says Armour isn't good for me, that's cool - at least it was considered.

    I will keep an open mind while reading the books. I hope it's really easier than what I'm assuming it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I promise it's much easier than you probably think :) I'll do a new post about the kinds of foods I eat and how I eat either tonight or tomorrow...maybe that will help you. And yes definitely if you are having a Doctor treating you that way I fully agree in trying to find a new one! No one needs a lame Doctor when you're already dealing with hard things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to thank you for doing this, I am going to follow you and cheer you on thru this journey. I too have hashimoto's and I also have had Radio Iodine treatment to ablate my thyroid. I have had the weight gain too. Finding your blog has been a God send. Honestly recently I felt so hopeless, so tired of this thyroid problem, so frustrated with my Dr. and taking test every six weeks. So tired of not feeling like myself! I have a supportive husband and finally he has agreed to join a gym with me (woo-hoo) I used to love to work out (pre-thyroid) now it's a struggle just to get going....but once I do start to excercise I feel really good! I am so excited for you and I am going to be following you on your success and cheering you on! You have motivated me to go out and purchase both of these books and along with going to the gym I am going to start the "Thyroid Diet" you are a true blessing, I am inspired by your ambition and you give me hope that I too can accomplish what you have already begun to accomplish for yourself. I know you will be successful in losing all of the weight you want to lose and I am going to be there right along with you!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone who is suffering from Thyroid disease!!!!! You dont know how much reading your blog helps!!! Many blessing to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Brenda thank you! You don't understand how much that means to me! I'm so sorry you've had to go through this, it is so not fun! You are strong and you can do this too! Thank you for reading my blog, and congrats on going out to get the books! Please keep me updated on how you do with the thyroid diet I really want to know! I have days where I still feel hopeless, and all I want to do is feel sorry for myself. And you know what I think we should have those days! Obviously not every day. But every once in a while, just have a day to be really frustrated with it. Cry, get mad, hit a pillow..and then after watch your favorite move. Really, once you've given yourself a day to do this you'll feel so much better! I get tested every 6-8 weeks too but I see my Dr about every 4 months (she's too expensive to see every 6-8 weeks) And usually the day of or after seeing her is when I need this day, because I usually leave with really bad news. If we don't allow ourselves to get upset about it then we'll just turn into bitter women. And I definitely don't want that haha! Thank you again for reading this and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Molly I sure will keep you updated once I start the diet, and I am going to take your advice in allowing myself (once in a while) to let my frustration out! I definitely dont want to be a bitter woman...I am just so relieved that finally there is someone out there that understands what it is that I am going through. Keep up the good work Molly your off to an awesome start!! Thank you for responding to me! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh seriously Brenda, I'm the one who is relieved. You can't imagine what all this support has done for me. I feel like I have a huge family that knows exactly what I'm going through and it's been amazing! Thank you so much! I'm excited to see how everything goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Molly...I too am hypothyroid and only 5'3" if I stretch. A year and a half ago I was 153 lbs and climbing. Might not seem like much but for someone who was always 110 - 115 it is. I was diagnosed in 1993 with hypothyroidism. I am happy to say I am not down to 114 and feel great. Problem is people say I am too skinny but my doctor said, no you are just right and you are healthy. Now the trick is to keep it off. I understand your frustrations with the weight not coming off but stick to it and it can happen. I know I can't eat what others can and pretty much stick to a very low carb diet. My body doesn't handle the pasta, breads etc., and oh does my tummy hurt when I eat that so I just stay away from it and feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Penny how exciting!! And don't ever let anyone tell you you are too skinny or too big! Whatever makes you the happiest is right where you need to be! Oh man that is so encouraging to hear you say that you lost all of that weight! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete