Monday, April 19, 2010

4.

Hello everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. Mine was nice and relaxing with my hubbs!

With how well my weight loss was going last week I got a little ahead of myself and was hoping to lose 10 pounds last week. During the weekend it slowed down though, and I was totally surprised because my average calorie intake this weekend was 1000 calories! (But I was still totally satisfied.) Also I started walking even more, I walk 2 miles a day now; 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. Which is amazing for me because before I started this, I was feeling so horrible that I wouldn't walk at all! And when I first started I was only walking 1 mile a day, (.5 and .5) and I was dying after! I was so out of breath and didn't want to move for a while, and now it's getting so much easier! So anyway back to why I wasn't losing a lot of weight this weekend (ATTENTION ANY MEN READING THIS...YOU MAY NOT WANT TO READ THE END OF THIS PARAGRAPH, PLEASE SKIP TO THE NEXT PARAGRAPH) men...did you skip this part? okay good. So ladies, we all know what it's like when that time of month comes around for us. It's painful, uncomfortable, you bloat bleh. Right? Okay so when I weighed in on Saturday I had gained .2 lbs and I was like WHATTT? NO!!!!!! I went back to my journal for the day before and I had done awesome on my diet, ate everything I was supposed to, (and I eat the minimum of what Mary Shomon suggests) only had just barely over 1000 calories and I walked 1.5 miles. I was so confused and bummed! That day was when I bumped up my walking to 2 miles. I did great on my diet again that day (the exact same as the day before) and when I weighed in on Sunday I had lost .6 lbs. It was definitely a relief but I was still thinking, I'm eating better this weekend and walking more and I'm losing half of what I have been? Don't get me wrong I was still stoked that I lost at all but it was weird. A couple of hours later I got my answer...lovely mother nature brought me my monthly gift :( BOO!!!! But hey at least I found out why my body was acting so weird right?

Okay men you can start reading this now :) So over the weekend I was really proud of myself with how I ate. Even though I could have, I didn't eat any popcorn at the movie theater! I brought a bag of a sliced up small apple and 5 large olives and I ate that instead. And honestly, if any of you are huge movie popcorn fans, the worse part is walking into the theater! That scent hits you and you're like maaaannnn! But once my husband and I got to the candy counter the smell wasn't bothering me anymore, I just bought a water and was good to go. Even though Cory had popcorn it didn't even occur to me that I wasn't eating it when we were in the theater! I was so proud of myself after! Also we went out for lunch yesterday to Mimi's Cafe and I had a great lunch. I had a montery chicken sandwich without the bacon or bun. It was PERFECT! Chicken, lettuce, tomato, a couple of slices of avocado for fat. And instead of french fries I got a naked french onion soup! All it is is the onions and broth! It was perfect and I was so full I didn't even finish my lunch. I was still wanting something for my dessert/treat for the week but I couldn't decide on what I wanted. Ice Cream? French Fries (this was before we ordered at Mimis)? what?? Well when we left we saw a frozen yogurt shop! yum! So we went to Ikea to walk around for about 30 minutes and then went to the frozen yogurt place. It was the perfect dessert for my week. If any of you have never had frozen yogurt I strongly suggest it instead of eating ice cream! Although it's not healthy for you it is MUCH better for you than ice cream. And at the shops you can get the plain tart flavor and add fruit on top, it's incredibly good. Try it!

So today is 1 week since I started the Thyroid Diet and I'm LOVING it! I really hope this blog can encourage more of you with thyroid problems to try this diet at least for a month! When I started I weighed 322 lbs. Today I weigh 314.4 lbs, so I've lost 7.6 lbs. total! I need to lose 51.4 more pounds until I am done with phase 1 of my diet! (I will talk about the phases of my diet in my next post...this one is long enough already!) :) I'm really excited, and thank all of you for the encouragement! Until next time!

13 comments:

  1. Hey Molls, way to go with the snack at the movies! That's awesome! I totally know - the hardest part IS the buttery smell when you walk into the theater. Good job, sis!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great and I am SO glad I have found your blog. Just a question....which one are you doing with the Diet? Is it the Free-Form, Carb Sensitive or the Calorie Counting? I am doing the Carb Sensitive one....carbs are my down fall. It has been SO interesting reading about the High and Low Glycemic stuff and all. Anyway, just wondering. Thank you for your Blog and your encouragement.....it is helping me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Breeda I'm glad it's helping! I am actually doing the Free-Form diet. Almost all of those diets seemed like the one I needed to do, so I went with the Free-Form. How is the Carb Sensitive one going for you so far?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great....I have also had my monthly visit from Mother Nature. She isn't very nice to me when she arrives hahahaha I will have to see as I continue (I am not stopping the diet) but after my system comes "under control" in 3-5 days hahaha

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha oh man isn't that the worst? Especially right when you start a diet it's like really?! really?? But definitely keep me updated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are rocking, Molly. Keep in in mind that during your period, you can go a few days with as much as 5 pounds of bloat or weight gain -- or no loss -- but then, you'll see a drop, and usually reflecting the loss during that time as well. So don't even think about it during the PMS and period time -- just keep going.

    And your planning is wonderful -- the idea of bringing the snack to the movies is perfect. You planned ahead, and you tackled a tough situation -- popcorn at the movies!!! (One I like is pumpkin or sunflower seeds- in the shell -- if you can do it not noisily, it keeps you busy crunching and munching, but healthily.

    One thing I love -- and I know it has sweetener in it so it's not optimal, but it's my salvation at night when I have a sweet craving -- Gen'l Foods Intl coffee suisse mocha sugar free. 30 cals, I make up a cup, and it's very chocolatey...

    Molly -- you are an inspiration to all of us!! WE LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. popcorn has got to be one of my biggest craves! Good for you to conquer it. Even the hubby had popcorn, so it was within arm's reach - that would have been the end of it for me! lol

    I find it harder to do diets when the boyfriend/hubby eats what he wants in front of me. I'll usually take a bite off of his plate, just to see what it tastes like, and then it's all over - I'm digging in. Props to you, girl!

    You mentioned you are in Texas. I'm on the northside of Dallas. I'm just around the corner from an amazing yogurt shop - Yogurtland. If you have one near you, I highly recommend it. It's so freaking deliciious! I always go by there when i'm craving icecream. It's the perfect substitute for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Molly, you are inspiring me to tone up my post-menopausal body - and I am thanking you girlfriend for that! I love the way you write! And I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Molly, I am so thankful to have found your blog through Mary Shomon's facebook page. You truly are an inspiration! Thank-you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go Molly - keep at it. I followed the low carb diet on the advice of my Dr when she diagnosed me with hypoglycemia & hyperinsulinemia just 2 years ago. 2 years before that I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism & hashimotos........ Learnt a lot in that time. But the diet has been the greatest thing. Totally changed my eating habits and lost 34lbs in 2 years too - first 17 seemed to drop off but then then hard work took over. Exercise, eating right and keeping healthy. At 59 if I can do it I know you can too. You're off to a terrific start lots of luck ..... Denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I am so glad Shannon suggested we take a read!!!

    You are an inspiration to ME!

    There are two roadblocks for me...I cannot eat lettuce, cilantro or fresh basil they make my tum tum go crazy with acid, and, I hesitate to go for a walk. I have a crazy neighbor lady that is a stalker. She yells nasty things at me from her car including 'fat b-word' and she out weighs me!! AND, I am not a b-word, she does not know me. She insulted me in the post office when I moved in a year ago. I ignore her. Bullies are to be ignored. (She is 64 years old. She does that to everyone, so, it is not just me...lol...poor thing.)

    I am going to do my grocery list today and begin this diet too! I use a Little Black Book-Daily Food Diary with the Personal Choice Menu template to have a list of my favorites that are healthier choices.

    I am sort of isolated from other women, I am post hyster-sisters but have my ovaries...so, I never know when to eat chocolate! lol

    Reading through this was like having sisters of my own...so I am babbling like I would if my sister or mother were still alive. Thank you so much for sharing your insides with us. Keep up your great progress!~n

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh you guys are great! My eyes start watering up every time I read your comments! You guys have no idea how much you all mean to me with your encouragement and your stories! I don't know over half of you but we are all still connected through this disease and I am so blessed to have you guys, and my family and friends cheering me on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Denise - GO YOU! That is awesome and I am so proud of you! That is super encouraging, and hey even if it took 2 years, it's better than gaining right?!

    And Leanerlady - Shannon, my sister Shannon?? How do you know her? I'm glad she told you to read this! And I am so sorry about your neighbor. That's horrible she must have some serious issues going on. I don't know if you have the money or not, but at walmart and target you can get super cheap, but really good treadmills, if you were able to buy one and walk on it in your house that would be awesome too. (I only say this because I am too embarrassed to go to a gym!) And there are definitely a lot more veggies that you can have instead of lettuce and cilantro. Cucumbers are pretty much my best friend! Haha I munch on those during work, and I have green beans and broccoli at home it's great! You can do it lady!

    ReplyDelete