Wednesday, August 31, 2011

127.

Okay friends!!! When I did the Thyroid Diet last year, I always had people asking me how to do the Thyroid Diet, what is the Thyroid Diet, and I don't want to buy the book so can you just tell me? I don't think anyone should do it exactly how I do it, because I like foods that you don't, or hate foods that you love. SO THIS IS STRAIGHT OUT OF THE THYROID DIET BOOK!!!!!!! THIS IS HOW YOU NEED TO DO THE DIET!!!! I figured I should put this up a little early so you guys can prepare before we start on Monday! Okay if you all have any questions please let me know! I'm so excited to start in 5 days! WOO HOOOOOO!!!! We also need more people to commit to the diet with our group! Come on friends!!!!

The Thyroid Diet
Mary J. Shomon

The Free Form Diet (There are 3 different Thyroid diets you can do, they barely differ from each other, but Free Form is the most common, so we'll all do it) :)
·        Eat 3 meals a day
·        Each meal should include 1-2 potions of lean protein
·        Eat all the low-glycemic veggies you want, at least 6 servings a day
·        1-2 servings of low-glycemic fruit a day MAX
·        A small serving of good fat with each meal and snack
·        1-2 snacks per day if needed (Don't eat after 8pm)
·        Only have 1-2 small treats a week
·        Drink 64 oz of water minimum each day
·        Have a minimum of 25 grams of fiber a day

Women's Calorie Worksheet
655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.8 x height in cm) – (4.7 x age in years)
***Your weight in pounds, divided by 2.2 = Your weight in kilograms
***Your height in inches, multiplied by 2.54 = Your height in centimeters

Body Mass Index
A rough calculation is: Your weight in pounds / (height in inches squared) x 703.
·        Healthy weight BMI = 18.5-25
·        Overweight BMI = 26-30
·        Obese BMI = 31-40 
·        Morbidly Obese BMI = Over 40

Setting Realistic Goals
Phase 1: Whatever BMI range you are in (Healthy, Overweight, Obese, Morbidly Obese) drop to the next lowest range
Phase 2: Drop again to the next lowest range
Phase 3: If you are already in the healthy range, get to where you are happy. If not, drop to the next lowest range.
**Continue to set small personal goals within each phase!

Low Glycemic Veggies:
Artichokes        Asparagus       Beans & Legumes       Broccoli            Brussels sprouts          Cauliflower
Celery              Cucumbers      Eggplants                    Green Beans   Green Peppers            Lettuce
Mushrooms     Spinach           Tomatoes                     Zucchini

Higher Glycemic Veggies (Try to limit/avoid):
Beets               Carrots                        Celery Root                 Corn                Parsnips                      Peas
Red potatoes   Rutabaga         Sweet potatoes            Turnips                        White potatoes            Winter squash
Yams

Low Glycemic Fruits:
Apples             Apricots           Blackberries                 Blueberries      Cantaloupes                Cherries
Grapefruits      Nectarines       Peaches                      Plums              Raspberries                 Strawberries

Higher Glycemic Fruits (Try to limit/avoid):
Bananas          Clementines    Grapes                                    Honeydew       Orange juice                Oranges
Papayas          Pineapples       Raisins                         Tangerines       Watermelon     Dates, dried fruits

ONLY EAT ON OCCASION:
Plain cooked oatmeal  Pita Bread        Brown Rice      Corn tortillas    High-Fiber NSA cereal             Peas

AVOID:
Bagels             White flour bread         Cakes  Cold cereals    Cookies           Crackers          Granola
Muffins             Pretzels           Refined flours              Rice     Rice cakes       white sugar

Good Fats:
Avocados         Canola Oil        Cashews          Olives              Olive Oil           Peanuts/Oil      Peanut Butter 
Almonds          Corn Oil           Fish     Flaxseeds        Mayonnaise     Pecans            Sesame Seeds           
Sunflower Seeds         Walnuts

Serving Size:
Veggies: ½ cup raw, chopped or cooked. ¾ cup juice. 1 cup raw leafy greens.
Starches: 1 slice of whole wheat bread. ½ slice of a whole wheat bagel. 2 cups of popcorn. ½ cup of whole grain cereal, pasta, brown rice, potatoes, corn.
Beef/Pork/Lamb: 3 oz
Fish: 5 oz
Poultry: 6 oz
Cheese: 1 oz (2 oz low-fat)
Egg: 2 eggs
Fats: 1 tbsp Oil or mayo. 5 lg olives, 7 sm olives. 1/8 medium sized avocado. 1 tsp Butter. 1 oz of nuts.
Fruits: 1 cup berries. 10 cherries. 1 small peach or apple. 1 medium plum or nectarines. ½ grapefruit.
Dairy Products: ½ cup lowfat milk. 1 cup fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt. ½ cup low fat ricotta or cottage cheese.

Things to do:
Eat spicy foods, drink more tea, snack on peanuts, add almonds, eat a big breakfast, eat three meals/day, eat a lighter dinner, eat slowly and chew thoroughly.

Things to cut back or eliminate:
Alcohol, caffeine, sugary soda/teas/juices, most sweeteners -except stevia-, multiple minimeals, don't eat after 8pm.

7 comments:

  1. Studies show that iodine thyroid supplements has a variety of beneficial healing and preventive effects rather than side effects caused by its active ingredients. The different ingredient found in it is more effective when taken together rather than taken separately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I there ! I think its wonderful what you are doing here. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. And your site helps me feel not so alone :). But I've read there are foods we need to stay away from. And many you've listed here in the diet. People with thyroid disorders should stay away from goitrogens ( foods that interfere with the thyroids ability to uptake iodine). Broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, brussel sprouts, strawberries, peaches, walnuts just to name a few. Maybe it would be wise to edit the post ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Just came across your site and it's great! Is anyone on here anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy I found your blog!
    I caught my thyroid problem early, but still have a bit of weight to shed. I don't know how often you update this anymore, but I am really interested in looking through it and gaining advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 25 years old and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 3 years ago. I'm so happy that you are sharing your story. I too started a blog to share my story. Check it out! http://notcrazyjusthypo.blogspot.com

    This is a great idea! I have not tried a diet like this yet...will definitely have to join the challenge. I have never really paid attention to low/high glycemic indexes...but maybe it's time I start so that I can get back to normal abain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Fatal Familial Insomnia ,Dupuytren's disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete